Friday, June 26, 2009

So today if you are reading this you may consider yourself lucky because I'm not blah blahing on my blog. Instead I've chosen to quote a passage that I found particularly thought provoking from a book I'm reading. The author John Ortberg says this:

"Many years ago I took one of my daughters to see her first movie: Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. For an hour and a half we lived in another world. I had forgotten how dark movies can be to a two-year-old. My daughter cried at the wicked stepmother, at the bite of the apple, and at the coming of the curse.
My tears came at another place. Snow White was cleaning the cottage and singing, "Someday my prince will come." Suddenly it was as if it were my little girl on the screen, and I was thinking about the day when her "prince" - whoever that was to be - would come and she would go away and they would be together.
In that moment I had new empathy for the dwarfs. In this story they give their home and risk their lives for this foolish girl who eats the forbidden fruit and falls asleep and breaks their hearts. And then the prince comes and awakens her with a kiss, and she runs off with him without a regret. But of course that is how it must be. That is her destiny.
And that is ours, too.
Each of us has tasted the forbidden fruit. We have all eaten the apple. We have all fallen under the curse. We are all, on our own, in a kind of living death.
But still the prince comes, to bring freedom from the curse, life from death. Still the prince comes, to kiss his bride. And every once in a while, somebody, somewhere, wakes up. And when that happens - that's life!

'Sleeper, awake! Rise from the dead and Christ will shine on you.' "


Book: The Life You've Always Wanted, Spiritual Disciples for Ordinary People

No comments:

Post a Comment